- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 pack (145 g) Old El Paso™ Stand ‘n’ Stuff Mini Soft Flour Tortillas
- 150 g caramel or toffee sauce
- 1 teaspoons dark rum
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 3 bananas, each cut into 12 slices
- 250 g vanilla ice cream
1. Heat 5-6 cm of vegetable oil in a large deep pan or deep fat fryer, to 180 °C, or until a small piece of bread browns in 10 seconds.
2. Place the sugar in a clear resealable bag. Fry tortillas in batches in hot oil 1 minute on each side, using tongs to turn tortillas halfway through, until lightly brown all over. Drain tortillas upside down on paper towel-lined baking sheet until slightly cool. If middles of the tortillas are puffed, gently press down with back of spoon. Toss 4 tortillas at a time in sugar to coat. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
3. Mix the caramel sauce and rum in a small bowl and stir until combined.
4. Heat the butter in a large non-stick frying pan, over a medium-high heat, until melted. Add the banana slices and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring until golden and caramelised. Pour in half of the rum caramel and mix gently to combine then remove from heat.
5. Divide the banana mixture between the fried tortillas and top with small scoops of ice cream. Serve drizzled with the remaining caramel sauce.