- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons mild chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 170 ml spicy tomato juice
- 750 ml water
- 225 g dried green lentils, rinsed
- 500 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 200 g fresh or frozen sweetcorn
- 2 small courgettes, cut into julienne strips (400 g)
- Old El Paso™ Original Nachips™
- Add the onion, chilli powder, salt, cumin, garlic and tomato juice into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the water with the lentils, tomatoes and chillies. Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add in the corn then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the courgettes, cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes, until the lentils and courgettes are cooked through and tender. Serve with tortilla chips.
Add another chilli if you prefer it hotter. Chillies are all different heats so make sure you test before serving up.
You could use red lentils if preferred.
This is a much easier, yet equally tasty, version of the typical long-cooking authentic Mexican main. This mole is made with beef, tomatoes and chilli beans, ready in just 40 minutes.