• 8 shallots, peeled and halved
• 1 aubergine, cut into chunks
• 2 large courgettes, trimmed and cut into chunks
• 1 large red pepper, deseeded and chopped
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 200g chestnut mushrooms, halved
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 pack Old El Paso™ Seasoning Mix for Chilli
• 1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
• 400ml water
• Soured cream
• Fresh coriander sprigs
• Old El Paso™ Super Soft Flour Tortillas, warmed (optional)
Instructions1. Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C for fan assisted ovens), gas mark 7. Spread the shallots, aubergine, courgettes and pepper in a large roasting tin. Drizzle over 3 tablespoons of the oil and toss to coat. Roast for 25-30 minutes, then stir in the mushrooms and roast for a further 10 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a large flameproof casserole. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute then stir in the chilli seasoning mix and fry for a further few seconds. Stir in the tomatoes and water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Stir the roasted vegetables into chilli tomato sauce and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Serve in warmed bowls topped with guacamole, soured cream and fresh coriander and with warmed tortillas.
- Cut all the vegetables into even-sized chunks so that they cook evenly.
- Try adding a handful of drained black or green olives or some drained and rinsed capers to the chilli at the end of cooking.