- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 750g lean beef mince
- 1 tablespoon hot chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chipotle paste
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 tins (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin (400g) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 jar (226g) Old El Paso™ Thick ‘N’ Chunky Salsa
- 40g dark chocolate, chopped
- Boiled rice
- Fresh chopped coriander
- Soured cream
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onions for 5 minutes until softened. Transfer to the slow cooker pot.
- Add the garlic and beef to the frying pan and cook, stirring to break up any lumps, for 2-3 minutes until no longer pink. Stir in the spices and chipotle paste and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to the slow cooker pot and stir in the tomatoes, beans and salsa.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low setting for 5 hours. Stir in the chocolate and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve in shallow bowls with boiled long grain rice, topped with soured cream and fresh chopped coriander.
Make sure to choose a dark chocolate that has at least 70% cocoa solids as this will complement the spicy flavour of the chilli but not sweeten it too much.
Garnish with shredded red chilli for extra colour and heat, if liked.