BBQ Po’ Boy Prawn Rolls
Total Time 35 Minutes
Spice Level Mild
- 3 tsps Old El Paso™ Roasted Tomato & Pepper Fajita Seasoning Mix
- 2 tbsps of Old El Paso™ Thick ‘N’ Chunky Salsa
- 12 raw (or frozen, defrosted) king prawns, peeled
- 50g plain flour
- 2 large free range eggs, beaten
- 200g breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon or lime
- 6 pineapple rounds, drained
- 2 red chillies
- 5 sprigs of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- White finger rolls, split in half
- 1 litre of sunflower oil
- 1 baby gem lettuce, washed and finely shredded
- 4 heaped tbsp of mayonnaise
- 1 Lemon
- Preheat the BBQ to a medium/high heat. Add the flour, egg and breadcrumbs into 3 bowls. Into the flour bowl add 2 tsp seasoning mix and 1 into the breadcrumbs. Season with salt and mix to combine it all together.
- Pat the prawns then dip in the flour, shake to get rid of any extra, then into the egg letting it drip so it is just coated, then push it all around in the chilli breadcrumbs. Put into a try then carry on until you have coated them all.
- Put a medium saucepan on a medium heat, fill ¾ with sunflower oil then warm up. Test it is hot enough by dripping a few breadcrumbs into the pan, if they sizzle and start to turn golden you're good to go. If not then heat for longer.
- Carefully in batches deep fry the prawns for 4-5 minutes until golden, crispy and the prawns cooked. Using a slotted spoon, remove from the oil then drain on kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile, pop the pineapple on the BBQ to grill. Prick the chilli with a fork then add to the grill to cook for 5-10 minutes turning half way until the pineapple is charred and then chilli is nice and black.
- Put the chilli to one side and leave to cool down, halving, removing the seeds and roughly chop up the chilli and add to a bowl. Roughly chop up the pineapple to make a chunky salsa, finely chop up coriander and add the tomato salsa, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and black pepper.
- Time to put your rolls together! Grill on the BBQ for 30 seconds (to get a toasted inside bun) spread over ½ a tbsp of mayo on the top and bottom of the bun, followed by shredded little gem lettuce. Crispy prawns then top with pineapple salsa and some extra sliced red chillies, coriander leaves and a squeeze of lemon or lime.