BBQ Whole Spatchcock Chicken
Spice Level Mild
- 1.5 kilo free range chicken
- 2 tbsp of Old El Paso smoky BBQ seasoning mix
- ½ a bunch of coriander
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 Lemon or lime
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsps of Old El Paso sour cream
- A handful of chives, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Put the chicken breast side down onto a clean secured chopping board (pop a piece of damp kitchen roll underneath to stop it slipping.)
- Get a pair of strong kitchen scissors, cut along one side of the backbone. Then do the same on the other side removing the backbone.
- Pop the chicken over onto the other side and open it like a book skin side up. Press firmly on the bone and flatten it. Slash the thighs to help cook it evenly and get the flavours all going.
- In a blender/high speed mixer add most of the coriander, (reserving some leaves for later) garlic, juice of 1 lemon, smoky BBQ seasoning mix and 3 tbsps of oil. Whizz until combined and then pour over the chicken, rubbing it really well into the chicken, then leave to marinate for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile get your BBQ going. Preheat the BBQ to a medium/high heat. (approx 200C).
- Put the chicken into a snug fitting roasting tray and cover with foil. Roast for 1 hour until cooked though (but not golden). Stab the potatoes with a fork and rub with olive oil the wrap in foil and add to the BBQ and cook for 30mins - 1 hour depending on the heat of the BBQ keeping an eye on them so they don’t burn (squidge them and see how they feel).
- To Serve:
Take the chicken out of the tray and onto the BBQ bars, skin side down. Brush any marinade/juices over the chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes until you have lovely golden and crispy skin.
- Serve in the middle of the table sprinkled with coriander leaves, with a crunchy green salad and the roasted sweet potatoes topped with sour cream and chives.