Crisp Apple Empanada Mini Tacos
Total Time 1 Hours 25 Minutes
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 20 Old El Paso Stand ‘N Stuff ™ Mini Soft Flour Tortillas
- 175 g soured cream
- 6 medium Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 175 g light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 75 g caramel or toffee sauce
- Heat at least 5 cm vegetable oil in a deep fat fryer or heavy-bottomed saucepan, until it reaches 180°C, or until a piece of bread browns in 10 seconds. Mix 3 tablespoons of the granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Cook the tortillas, in batches, in the preheated oil, for 1 minute on each side, turning halfway through, until lightly brown all over. Remove from the oil and drain the tortillas upside down on a paper towel-lined baking sheet, for 3-4 minutes, then add into the cinnamon sugar to coat. Remove and cool fully on wire racks.
- Stir the soured cream together with 1 tablespoon of the remaining granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon, in a small bowl, until combined and place to one side.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan and cook the apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, remaining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and the salt over a medium-high heat. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender.
- Divide the apple mixture between the fried tortillas then spoon over the cinnamon cream and drizzle with the caramel sauce.
- Melted dark chocolate works equally well as a delicious drizzle with these cinnamon flavoured apples.
- Alternatively why not try using pears instead of apples.