Mexican Lasagne Verde
Total Time 1 Hours 5 Minutes
Spice Level Hot
- Cooking spray or a little oil
- 1 jar (344 g) Old El Paso™ Cooking Sauce for Enchiladas
- 10 Old El Paso™ Super Soft Flour Tortillas
- 500 g cooked chicken, shredded
- 500 g tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190 ºC (170 ºC for fan assisted ovens), gas mark 5. Mist or grease a 20cm square baking dish 9 (about 2 litres) with cooking spray or oil. Spread 1/4 of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of the dish.
- Arrange 4 tortillas in the bottom of the dish (tear and overlap as necessary, to completely cover bottom). Top with a third of the chicken, tomatoes, red onion, green chillies and cheese. Spoon over a third of the remaining enchilada sauce.
- Arrange 3 tortillas over the enchilada sauce (tear and overlap as necessary, to make new layer). Press down slightly. Repeat with all the remaining ingredients, making 2 more chicken layers and one more tortilla layer. Finish by scattering over the cheese.
- Cook, uncovered, for 40 minutes, or until bubbling and heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Great served with some soured cream, guacamole and fresh coriander.
Make it meatless – use roasted root veg as an alternative to the chicken. Roasted butternut, peppers and courgettes would taste great.