Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos
Total Time 6 Hours 30 Minutes
Spice Level Mild
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 sachet Old El Paso™ Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 250mL orange juice
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1.4kg boneless pork shoulder joint, rind removed
- 1 pack Old El Paso™ Stand 'N' Stuff Soft Tortilla Boats (8 tortillas)
- 150g mixed salad leaves or shredded lettuce
- 80g ready-grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced
- In small bowl, combine the oil, taco seasoning mix, salt, thyme and cumin. Spread the paste all over the pork shoulder, pressing to coat. Place in the slow cooker dish. Pour the orange juice around the pork and add the garlic.
- Cover and cook on the Low heat setting for 5-6 hours or until the pork is very tender. Transfer the pork from the slow cooker to a shallow dish. Cool for 5 minutes then use 2 forks to roughly shred the meat. Toss with about 200ml of the braising liquid (discard the remaining braising liquid).
- Heat the tortilla boats to pack instructions. Divide the lettuce and cheese evenly between the tortilla boats. Top each one with about 85g of the pork (see Tips for using up any leftovers), then top with the cheese and sliced onion.
- Turn your taco dinner into a real Tex-Mex family feast by serving with sides of Traditional Guacamole and Salsa.
- To take the edge off the raw onion, place the sliced onion in a sieve and rinse with cold water for about 30 seconds. Drain and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- You’ll have some have leftover pork after making the tacos – use hot or cold in sandwiches, quesadillas, burritos or grain bowls.