- 600g chicken thigh fillets
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin Old El Paso™ Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon mild chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 750ml chicken stock (made with 1 stock cube)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 x 185g bag Old El Paso™ Original Tortilla Nachips™
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander, to garnish
- Mix the chicken, onion, garlic, pepper, tomatoes, beans, spices and stock in the base of a slow cooker pot (see Tips).
- Cover and cook on High setting for 2 1/2 hours or until the chicken is very tender and will shred easily.
- Remove the chicken from the pot with a slotted spoon and place on a chopping board. Roughly shred using two forks. Return to the pot with the lime juice and stir well. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Roughly break up a few of the tortilla chips (about 40g). Ladle the soup into bowls, top with the broken tortilla chips and garnish with the coriander. Serve with the rest of the tortilla chips on the side.
You will need a large slow cooker with a 5 litre capacity for this recipe. Cooking times may vary so check the appliance manual for guidance.
Use a sharp knife to trim off any excess fat from the chicken thigh fillets before adding to the slow cooker pot.