Baja-Style Fish Tacos
Total Time 1 Hours
Spice Level Mild
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 150 g plain flour
- 240 ml flat, room temperature beer
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chilli powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 450g firm white fish fillets (such as cod, haddock, or pollock), cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 pack (193g) Old El Paso™ Stand ‘N Stuff Soft Flour Tortillas
- 75 g red cabbage, finely sliced
- 50 g radish, finely sliced
- 1 avocado, stone removed, peeled and chopped
- 1 small handful coriander
- 2 limes, cut into wedges, to serve
- Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer or heavy-bottomed pan, coming up about 5 cm, to 180°C, or until a small piece of bread browns in 10 seconds.
- Beat together the flour, beer, chilli powder and salt, in a medium bowl, until smooth. Coat the fish in the batter, then add to the fryer or pan in batches. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Keep warm while frying the remaining fish.
- Heat the tortillas to pack instructions. Fill the tortillas with the cabbage, radish, avocado, coriander and fish and squeeze over a little lime juice. Serve with extra lime wedges.
- Great also served with salsa and soured cream.
- Alternatively use chicken instead of fish. Increase the cooking time slightly to make sure the chicken is fully cooked through.