Smoky Refried Bean Burgers
Total Time 1 Hours
Spice Level Mild
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- 1/2 x 435g tin Old El Paso™ Refried Beans
- 1 tablespoon Old El Paso™ Smoky BBQ Seasoning Mix For Fajitas
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 x 425g tin Old El Paso™ Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 80g tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 70g panko breadcrumbs (See tips)
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 crusty bread rolls or burger buns
- Lettuce leaves
- Old El Paso™ Chunky Guacamole (optional)
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and pepper and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring until softened. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix the refried beans, seasoning mix and egg in a large bowl. Stir in the black beans, sweetcorn, breadcrumbs, parsley and the onion and pepper mixture. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide and shape the mixture into 4 even patties. Place on a plate, then cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over a medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 8-9 minutes, turning once, until they have a crisp brown crust on each side. Serve in crusty rolls or burger buns with lettuce leaves and topped with guacamole, if you like.
- Panko breadcrumbs are crisp and light Japanese-style dried breadcrumbs and you’ll find them in most large supermarkets. If unavailable, use the same amount of fresh white breadcrumbs.
- If you prefer a spicier burger, add 1-2 deseeded and finely chopped red or green chillies to the pan with the onion and red pepper.
- Cooking Vegetarian? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is vegetarian. Products and ingredient sources can change.